Arizona State informed the NCAA and Pac-12 that it will self-impose a bowl ban for the 2023 season due to alleged violations of NCAA rules that occurred within the program under ex-Sun Devils coach Herm Edwards, sources confirmed to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd. ASU players were informed of the decision in a team meeting Sunday before practice. ASU remains under investigation by the NCAA for the alleged violations as the program enters its first season under coach Kenny Dillingham.
Under Edwards, ASU allegedly hosted recruits in Tempe, Arizona, during the extended dead period that resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic. It was reported that at least 30 players visited ASU’s campus during that dead period. Multiple assistants under Edwards departed the program in the time since the investigation before Edwards himself ultimately left.
Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson said in a statement that the school will not be further commenting on the matter “in light of the ongoing investigation and our membership obligation to maintain the confidentiality of the matter.”
Dillingham, told reporters Sunday that he was informed of the bowl ban by Anderson in the early morning hours and told the team later that day. Dillingham called the decision “upsetting” and said that the impact was visible among players during practice.
“There was horrible news [of the bowl ban] on a Tuesday [timeline] practice morning before we met for special teams,” Dillingham said. “To think that 18- to 22-year-olds are going to go out and have a good Tuesday practice [after that] is absolutely delusional. But I think the guys battled and did the best they could do.”
Arizona State president Michael Crow previously expressed frustration with the slow pace of the…