Not even a strong desire for the Jets to get Trevor Lawrence could explain Gregg Williams’ Cover 0 blitz play-call that would hand the Raiders a victory on a silver platter Sunday. If there ever was a time to not blitz when you have two rookie cornerbacks and are up four points with 12 seconds to go, that would be it. The call ultimately cost Williams his job as he was fired Monday morning. Jets fans are stoked though, because it means they are still atop the tank for Lawrence.
To break down the wild 31-28 Jets loss, we bring you a brand new episode of the “Gang’s All Here” podcast with Brian Costello and me. The podcast was recorded before Williams’ firing.
Gang’s All Here Opening Segment with Jake & Coz:
- For Jets fans: from a frustrating win to an exciting, yet depressing loss. Still atop the tank for Trevor Lawrence.
- What the hell was Gregg Williams doing? No defensive coordinator ever makes that play-call in that spot. He is the reason the Jets lost. Two rookie cornerbacks with no help. Just a no-brainer.
- Marcus Maye said you have to make a better play-call in that spot. Players clearly shook about it. Demoralizing to a team that already has not won a game.
- Another bad game from Sam Darnold. Three turnovers. Bad interception. Has to read pressure better and avoid those fumbles.
- Jaguars could not rally to win. Jets still hanging by a thread for the top pick. Going to get intriguing in final four games.
Jake ‘s Take:
I sound off on Williams’ pitiful play-call and how bizarre it is right now for Jets fans rooting for them to lose every week.
Jason Fitzgerald Interview:
Over The Cap Founder (OverTheCap.com), Jets fan, Author
- Why blitz at the end of the game? Does not want to see 0-16.
- Salary cap for teams this offseason after games with no fans.
- Where the Jets stand this offseason and how much cap space will they have.
- What players Jets might go after. What their approach should be.
- Joe Douglas and job he has done so far managing the cap.
Catch up on all episodes of “Gang’s All Here,” a New York Jets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Coz and Jake on Twitter @BrianCoz and @JakeBrownRadio for updates on the show. The next episode of the podcast drops on Thursday.