Jonathan Taylor is looking to continue his football career elsewhere. Taylor has requested a trade from the Indianapolis Colts after asking for a new contract to begin training camp, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jonathan Jones confirms after it was first reported by NFL Media.
And in the latest development on Sunday, the Colts are now reportedly considering placing Jonathan Taylor on non-football injury list (NFI). Taylor suffered an injury to his back while working out on own in Arizona and is also still rehabbing from January ankle surgery. He’s currently on PUP list.
Taylor is entering the final year of his rookie contract and has merited an extension from the team that made him a second-round pick three years ago. In three seasons with the Colts, Taylor has rushed for 3,841 yards and 33 touchdowns while also having 802 receiving yards and three touchdowns. He’s the second-fastest player in team history to rush for 3,000 yards (33 games), as only Edgerrin James was faster (30 games). His 36 touchdowns are the second most by a Colts player after their first three seasons.
Colts owner Jim Irsay admitted Thursday no contract talks have taken place with Taylor, not even exchanging any numbers. As the running back market continues to get worse, Taylor chimed in his thoughts earlier this month on running backs not getting paid.
Irsay made matters worse after Taylor asked to be traded with some bizarre comments. The Colts owner has made controversial statements regrading Taylor this past week, but this one hit a different level.
“If I die tonight and Jonathan Taylor is out of the league, no one’s gonna miss us, Irsay said, per The Athletic. “The league goes on. We know that. The National Football (League) rolls on. It doesn’t matter who comes and who goes, and it’s a privilege to be a part of it.”
Regardless of Irsay’s comments, he also told Sports Illustrated the team has no intentions…